Background

Etsy

Friday, July 9, 2010

Playing in the Kitchen

A couple days ago I went to the store to get our regular groceries. I have been wanting to try to make some of Addie's food at home. 1st reason to save money 2nd reason it's so fresh 3rd reason...it's fun! I loved mixing things together...or at least planning things in my head that I want to mix in the future. I really just bought a couple things to start out and see how it went first.
I bought sweet potatoes, summer squash, peaches, apples (and we already had strawberries, blueberries and bananas). I realized when I got home I didn't buy anything green (AND THAT'S HER FAVORITE :)). OOPS. I have a bag of spinach I could steam and puree, but I read something about the nitrates possibly being dangerous, so I might hold off and just go buy some green beans or asparagus. Has anyone tried broccoli? I would imagine it would give her really bad gas?! :)

The peaches came out perfectly. The sweet potatoes worked out really well too, I think I ate too much of it along the way. The summer squash blended really well too and she LOVES that. I mixed the bananas and strawberry together and she really like that too. I know she isn't supposed to have strawberry until 12 months...but we tried it a month ago (being brave) and she has done fine with it. I am so happy about this because of my fear of her getting my multiple food allergies. I tried some of the blueberries, but they didn't seem to be worth the money. They boil down to hardly anything...and then were really runny. I added oatmeal to her blueberry puree.


I saved a bunch of the gerber 2nd stage food plastic containers and have used those to store the food in. I also used the ice cube trays for some of them.
Any tips or fun recipes?

1 comment:

Amanda Dengler said...

avocado, brussel sprouts, apple sauce, pear sauce, prunes, carrots? check out the farmer's market for good prices and super fresh fruits and veggies that are in season and locally grown.