Background

Etsy

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The First 3 Weeks

Wowzers, going from 1 to 2 has been really crazy. The Lord has been gracious to us. Overall the girls have done really well, but it has definitely been an adjustment. When you have the first baby you realize how selfish you were before. Well when you have the second you just realize that you are still selfish, ha! You have to give even more of yourself and sometimes I don't know if I have it in me, but the Lord is giving me the strength ( ex: I am writing this and the clock says 4:11am).

When Eva first came home, Mom stayed for the first 2-3 nights. There is nothing like having your Mama there. She made meals for us, helped with the girls, encouraged me constantly just by being calm and upbeat. She slept on the sofa and Eva was set up to sleep in the packnplay down stairs. Mom would let us get sleep, I would set my alarm for feeding times and come downstairs to feed her. At first we did 3-4 hours even at night because we were trying hard to get her to gain weight. Within the first week she started doing 4-5 hour spans on her own.... Well where did those go, I ask?!?! Kim stayed with us from Wednesday- Saturday after she was born. It was a huge help having her there. She always makes amazing meals, she constantly played with Adelyn or held Eva and also made it possible to get out of the house some after Daniel went back to work. Her poor car got towed one day right from being parked at our front door. Silly HOA and parking pass mishap, ugh. Don't know what I would have done without Mom and Kim.

We just started our 4th week and she will do one 5 hour span starting at 8 or 9 at night but then is awake every 3 hours ( sometimes less) after that. She normally goes down pretty easily after she eats but I have to make sure I burp her well or she wakes up because of it. If her feeding time is 4:30 am or later though she is wide eyed and ready for the day. We are still working on the schedule as you can see.

She's a spitter! We didn't have this issue with Adelyn. She would do the normal small amount as she burped. Eva spits up what I feel like sometimes is all she ate. She is still having good diapers so I know that's not the case but it feels like it at times. I am eager to go to her 1 month visit next week to see how she's grown.

She has been napping pretty well if you wait until she is asleep to lay her down. She's been sleeping on the sofa, packnplay, or in her crib, most of the time swaddled in her boppy. We've been using the boppy during the day and wedge at night to keep her head elevated. I've tried the sling and Bjorn a couple times, not to excited about those yet. She is great in the car seat if the car is moving. When the car stops she Hates it! :) When she is calm she already loves laying on her changing pad and looking at the mirror or fan. She smiles a lot in her sleep but only a couple times while awake.

Baby blues: I hate even typing those words, but I figured it would be good to note down for me to remember and there may be someone else that struggles with it too and it's good to know you aren't the only one. Let me start by saying that week 3 was better than week 2 and week 4 is even becoming more normal! This is so encouraging. I started the first week thinking that it wasn't as bad as it was with Adelyn. I could go almost the whole day and not feel anxious and then it would hit me late afternoon. Then week two came. This was the deepest time of anxiety. The feeling is just: deep anxiety, heart racing, claustrophobia, emotional .... I know it has to do with your hormones that are changing and adjusting but I'm sure mine was also just the fear of all the newness. I strive on schedules, organization, cleanliness, getting out and doing things and having a newborn is the furthest thing from that. Throw a 2 year old in the mix and you have a meltdown. While Adelyn has been extremely good through this, she still requires constant attention and... Well for you to simply stay awake during the day.

Getting out of the house is always something that helps me in the beginning. I found many ways to get out even from the second day being at home. Hanging out in the porch with Adelyn doing bubbles, going for a walk, taking Adelyn to the playground or target, or ballet class while Kim or Mom had Eva at the house. After a week and 1/2 when Daniel went back to work I loaded up the two girls and went over to Moms house. We got out again at 3 weeks and went to Anna's playground and Kellie's house. I get worn out taking both of them but it helped me feel more normal. Soon we will be getting out and about like normal I'm sure.

I found something that helped me tremendously during this time. After Eva Grace's birth I found this on a great blog that I follow http://www.girltalkhome.com/blog/Postpartum_Depression...I sent all of these blog posts to my email so that at anytime I could pick them up and read them on my phone. The two biggest encouragments to me during this have been to keep praise music playing in the living room and to constantly have my mind focused on scripture and on the fact that I won't feel this way long. Oh and sunshine! For some reason still the time I feel most anxious or weird is when I lay Adelyn down for a nap. I don't know if it because the house is so quiet or because I miss her? It seems like this would be my most relaxed time. I know that I have to take a nap and not clean so my routine that has helped is laying Addie down, clean up big messes quickly, make a spot for me and Eva in the sofa, put something quiet in the tv, and nap with Eva. Even if I'm only able to sleep 20 minutes, it helps.

Daniel and I have been doing well. We have our moments of frustration, but he is such an amazing helper and friend. We have had to make it a point to try to spend one on one time together, even if it's 15 minutes before we crash at night. We are both exhausted but we both smile at each other and say, " but we know it's worth it."

I want to also say that even with all of the anxiety... There have been good sweet moments. I don't mean to make it all sound negative. The Lord has already carried me through so much and has given me joy. I was forced to rely on Him.

Isaiah 41:10: Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

2 Corinthians 12:9: My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.

Matthew 6:34: Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. [Also see Matthew 6:25-34.]

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Psalm 139:1-3: O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with my ways.

Isaiah 26:3-4: You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord, is the Rock eternal.

Philippians 4:6-7: Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.



No comments: